To put this blog in (yet) another perspective, it could be called a dedication to the person who made the biggest single contribution to my personal and spiritual development - Edgar Assoun, who was also my father-in-law.
Through some 30 years, the dialogues we had with him inspired us (wife Gigi and myself) opened our minds, gave us breathtaking visions into the grandeur, the tragedy and the comedy of the human adventure, including our own and his and his wife Charlette's own particular versions. He also knew exactly the point to touch, the conciliatory angle to open us to in the face of the crises which on more than one occasion seemed to be leading Gigi and me to a break-up.
Since some time before Edgar's death in 2007 and up to very recently, we had been more or less stagnating in terms of self-discovery and personal development. Our respective stubbornnesses had locked us into a position where we listened to Edgar's talks without engaging. At times he said 'you'll realise what I was talking about when I'm gone,' and we wondered what he meant. The blog is my attempt to consciously commit to a deep intent to penetrate by my own efforts that world which he showed me. Guidance may be sought, but if I accept it I will be responsible for choosing the source, and when and for how long I will accept it. I will stake everything on my own discoveries, I'll take on the task which for years I passively accepted being presented through Edgar's unique personal vision.
Certain among my (two or three, optimistically) readers might be getting impatient with my continually coming back to definitions and redefinitions of what this blog is about. Well, I'm unrepentant. I hope this repeated exposition of what I'm on about will have the effect of gradually clarifying the focus of my underlying message. And that I will slowly come around to my realising this for myself. The message is the discovery and articulation of myself, and like a sculptor carving a figure out of an enormous block of stone, the figure or the message will slowly appear after hundreds of hammer taps on the chisel. Or it's rather like an existential novel, say one by Milan Kundera or Robert Musil, where the writer hovers around his theme, comes back to it and embroiders it through the various exploits of the main character or characters, gradually evolving his vision of the state or view he is dealing with. I don't have the patience or the discipline and self-conviction to launch into writing a novel, but I have come to thinking that the blog format permits me to do the same thing through repeated postings.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment